Wednesday, August 31, 2011

A Little Local Flavour



Ok, upon request a small item in English for my non-Dutch reading fans!

Today is a semi-national holiday in India, the end of Ramadan is being celebrated during the so called Eid-festival. It is not a national holiday, so not everybody is off today. If the Indians would grant all religions in their country to have their sacred holidays as a national holiday, no one would ever work (not that they seem to work so much anyway..).

We had a meeting though and after that we went for lunch (at around 17:30). My companion suggested I would try the famous brain-curry. How could I refuse? The place he had picked he had not been to for the past 3 years, so when we entered, even he had to admit it was a little dilapidated, broken mirrors on the wall, dirty floors etc.

The take-away window of the restaurant

But it would be good, he promised. Luckily we also gotten the butter chicken curry, so I would have at least something I would eat. Once served, you cannot see that is is brains on your plate, but the thought of it makes you not want to start, at least I did not. But what the heck. It tasted strong, meaty and was overall not bad.

Curry made out of sheep-brain

In and out this place in about 30 minutes we drove on. Discussing on our earlier meeting, I suddenly see a monkey climbing the electricity poles in the center of Delhi. And then I started wondering what it was that I ate......

The restaurant we ate at in central Delhi: "National"


It was also the first monkey I had ever seen in the wild.
So maybe not a little, but a lot of local flavour today....

No comments:

Post a Comment