Thursday, October 13, 2011

Home is wherever I lay my hat?

Since internet is not installed at home yet, I grab the opportunity to do a little writing at work. Everybody needs a break, right?

So, I stayed a little longer in Holland, but as I wrote earlier, I am official now. My workpermit was given after handing in tons of documents, a translation of my degree, legalized, stamped & signed and for what? But it seems my degree in History of Russia & Eastern Europe is badly needed in India....

Monday evening the driver picked me up from the airport and dropped me at my new appartment. I had seen the flat before, empty and a bit diry. But now the walls were painted, most things cleaned and a complete inventory of furniture, kitchen appliances, towels etc. etc. was moved in. Yesterday the tv was installed, now I am waiting for the internet and the washing machine to be set-up.
Living room
The first morning I was woken by the doorbell at around 7 AM. They rang and rang and rang so I decided to get up and see who was this annoying person. It seems that people are aware a new tenant (and a Westerner for that!) moved in, so there was a guy wanting to clean the car, 2 ladies wanting to clean the house, another lady that wanted to clean the house, but I told them all to leave me for now.

My employers are obviously the ones helping me with all this and with negotiating a rate for the cleaning lady. We have not done that yet, that is why some of these ladies are coming by to get in first I guess and they have done that every morning now. And each time I tell them the same.

The cleaning-rates are divided into 2 parts. One for the appartment excluding the toilets and one for the toilets. For the 3 toilets they ask as much as for everything else. In total 2000 rupees (an approximate 35 EUR) per month for everyday cleaning was asked by one of the ladies.

Master bathroom with the "expensive" toilet

We are still looking though, 2000 rupees is too much I was told.

As for ironing (I do not like that part), there seems to be an Iron Man, no not the superhero, but a guy who irons your shirts. Hmmmmm, nice.

Some more pics of the appartment below, not all rooms are ready yet. The study and guestroom (feel free to visit!) are under "construction".



Kitchen

Master bedroom :)


View from balcony

2 comments:

  1. Looks great Jerke! I wish you all the best and I'm sure you'll do well :-)

    ReplyDelete